Pages

Tuesday 3 September 2013

Devilish Products and HOW TO MAKE THEM WORK

Fyrinnae as a brand is cool, their loose eyeshadows are my brownies (was going to say drug but brownies are more desirable, n'est-ce pas?).

I may do a further write-up, long overdue, explaining why I am so enamoured with their products. AKA: why, if I had a goat, I would be furious at it, if it swallowed any part my Fyrinnae collection, mistaking it for a can of nails. (Goats don't have the BEST eyesight). Why there is so much ado about them on a certain guilty, geeky pleasure of mine, MakeupAlley (checkittttt)... I can say with full confidence that you can, almost blindly, purchase any three products off their website, and be pleased with them. The price isn't half bad, either.

However.
This post is concentrating on the SOLE failure in their extensive range of eyeshadows. Every brand has them, Fyrinnae only has one....Mephisto! Imagine a gathering storm, a thunderbolt!

I'm sure you have items like this. Products that cause a veritable mutiny against your face, so that suddenly NOTHING looks right...

In this case, my defence is: the swatches compelled me!

Online, swiped on many an arm, it photographs beautifully... Like crushed velvet, the perfect marriageof purple/burgundy. It hit my aesthetic sweet spot. However, I had a rough dozen rounds with it, perhaps more...and didn't fare well.

Mephisto would come out triumphant each time, glowering red eyes raised to the heavens, as it beat its chest, roaring. Then it would return its pitiless gaze to me--handing over a pocket mirror, it would sneer as I, aghast, scrutinized the damage.

Patted on, with or without base, the glitter particles that lend it that lovely complexity, apply and fade off unevenly. It looks patchy. It blends out to an unattractive dark, purplish grey. It makes me look as though I had a rather unpleasant evening at a shoddy restaurant. ("you want a sand'ich? I'll give you a sand'ich! Here...have a mouthful of KNUCKLE!").

However, I decided I would damn well MAKE it work, or perish in the process! So, taking my tube of DuWop Lip Venom, nicely transparent, I mixed in the offending eyeshadow. I now have a perfect dark, extremely pigmented, lipgloss. Which I have been complimented on many times, many a day.

Here is a FOTD from, ohh, ages ago.

Eyes: Fyrinnae Polar Bear, Meerkat, THE MEREST HINT OF MEPHISTO (promptly blotted out with other shades of Maybelline Designer Chocolate and a cranberry from Cargo)
Lips: Mephisto mixed into a tube of clear gloss.


Might add that this was taken a few hours after application, and yes, the franken-gloss lasted through tea.

So: HOW TO SALVAGE COSMETICS - a few ideas:
-If a reasonable colour, try it as a brow product (as I have done in above pic with the brown shade in the Maybelline palette)

-If a pigment or eyeshadow, mix it into gloss, clear or not. (The eyeshadow can be crushed and mixed in, or patted on top)/ or pat on top of lip liner

-If a mascara, try dipping an eyeliner brush into the tube and using as liner. Often this can make for a very long-lasting liquid liner.

-Mix into nailpolish.

-Speaking of nailpolish, you can use it to freakin' DECORATE STUFF. That's what I did a couple of years ago, with my iphone case, a black bland thing. I decorated solely with eyeshadow pigments mixed into clear nailpolish, and a broken necklace.


-If an unflattering eyeshadow, it may make for a highlight/blush (depending on the colour). This is how I use MAC expensive pink. People without babies, may dispense with their free time by going to the extent of crushing said eyeshadow, mixing it into Strobe Lotion or what have you, and creating a liquid cheek colour! Whoo! Exhausts me just thinkin' bout it...

-Melt 2 lip products into one, for a new, more flattering colour (see my lip palette post for instructions)

-Or, the lip product can function as a cream blush (go easy). This is the only way I use my Revlon Suede lipsticks now, they did a number on my poor, unsuspecting lips, rendering them parched as a peach stone. In fact, drying lip products are perfect for cream blush, because once blended out, they last so so well!

-If a lipliner, use it with a balm, blot, et voila: lips...stained.

-If a foundation or concealer that's too matte/cakey, use it with a serum or lotion. (Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair has never done anything for my skin, but it works well to dew-ify any foundation!)

-Or just take the WHOLE LOT of unusable, devilish makeup, and use it to create a BIIIIG work of art (GO CRAZY), before discarding. AT LEAST YOU GOT -some- USE OUT OF IT! (I have done this as a teenager many times....and regret NOTHING).


Ok. That was a marathon, wasn't it. Well.

A motorcycle's going off, my husband. Excuse me as i follow suit...
Snooze or you'll lose. 

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! Thank you for the tips, these are so creative and useful!

    ReplyDelete