Pages

Tuesday 27 August 2013

A Realistic Tan (aka how to piss off South Asian Aunties)

Perhaps you are South Asian. Perhaps not.

(Then again, perhaps you are naught but shadows and dust in the cobwebs of my mind. But let's not go there eh.)

As a South Asian (or possibly Asian in general?), you may well be aware of the vehement furor and snobbish disdain that a tan ensures in our lovely community.

Said tan may be quite, quite natural.

In fact, like my baby son, your tan may be part of your genetic makeup. THIS DOES NOT LET YOU OFF THE HOOK. YOU HAVE COMMITTED THE CRIME OF ALL CRIMES AND YOU SHALL PAY! Let's see how thick your skin really is, eh?

A tan is a revelation. It shows JUST HOW STRONGLY one's social standing relies on looks.

Not with everyone, of course, but definitely among some foul-hearted beeshes prominent in our community. Vile comments abound!

I mean, hello! How could anyone tolerate skin so glowing as to make supermodels jealous? Cover that horrifically healthy colour up! Use bleach, Fair & Lovely, baby powder! Hurry, chop chop! My eyes are burning!

 Yes, even if the offensive tan belongs to a pure, innocent little baby boy with eyes like melting chocolate kisses. (Is my bitterness showing?)

Just recently I was at a Shiseido counter getting colour matched, for their glorious Perfect Refining Foundation. Lady matches me to 020. Then she eyes me up and down, noting my desi-ness. "Of course," she says crisply, "You'd prefer a few shades lighter, right?"

Only desis are so accommodating as to be racist against themselves.

Anyway, having witnessed many variations of the above, enduring ridiculous conversations about--what else--skin colour....I decided enough was enough. I wanted to piss off those superficial, pathetic aunty figures, and really rub it in.

So I went the self-tanner route. It was a necessity before big parties.

That became too hard to maintain, although it was worth it to see certain aunties flinch at my tan. After that, I went for liquid bronzers, gels and creams.

I also kind of like seeing myself 'tan' when I stay indoors most days. Psychological gratification, and all that. So after loads of bronzing gels and the like, I have finally found my HOLY GRAIL of realistic bronzer.... The Guerlain Terracotta Tinted Moisturizer! *cue trumpets*

The quick rundown: it's long lasting, looks dewy-fresh, not greasy--important!--the colour (brunettes) is perfect for mixing a drop into foundation to darken it, matches my natural tan perfectly--works very well as a gel bronzer (applied with fingers or brush)...ensures compliments on my "gorgeous skin" from strangers! C'est vraiment MAGNIFIQUE!

Here is a pic with me wearing it (center of face has vichy dermablend mixed with a drop of the guerlain tm).
(eyes: Fyrinnae Immortality, the lightest shade of Annabelle Java quad)

   It looks so natural!! It blends effortlessly, smells beautiful, and no breakouts in over a week of using it. Perfect product and will definitely ensure a few nasty glances from certain...aunties. What more could you ask for?

2 comments:

  1. Ha! You're hilarious :) I'm not desi but it's so interesting to hear about this aspect of the culture... Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay someone reads this! Hehe. It doesn't go across the board, certainly nobody in my family, my eyes were opened to this...aspect... after I got married! :P

      Delete