Pages

Wednesday 11 December 2013

Salute to a Great Lipstick

Perfection in a red lipstick--this is how it shall be remembered.

I sent an email a couple of days ago.

Hello,
I can no longer find the Color Intrigue lipsticks at my local EA stockist, the sales assistants don't know about what happened, and I adore that line. Particularly Poppy Cream, the best red lipstick, which, thankfully, is still showing up on the website.

My question is, is this line getting discontinued? Will Poppy Cream and the two other colours that are still showing on the website, still be around?

Sincerely,
Wonderful Perfection

Today, my friends, was the day I received their reply. Indeed, they informed me, my beloved Poppy Cream was no more.... Among the fallen... Discontinued, forevermore.

Poppy Cream and I, we had our times. It was well-balanced in hue, and intensely glowing (a fire within!), yet elegant, all at once.

 It never emphasized the evil written all over my face, as so many other red lipsticks do, with my dark brows and grim eyes riddled with the horrors of crimes I have comm--blah...excuse me.

It was a glorious formula: mightily pigmented, creamy (but not in a way that feels heavy/smears), moisturizing, making the lips look juicy but not glossy.

Never needed a lip balm. Never required a lipliner.
If it wore off, it did so with discretion, generously leaving behind a pretty, healthy rose tint. No uneven fading.

 It was a lavish, luscious red that no other line, high end or low end, has even come close to replicating. A woman once told me that, although she doesn't normally like red lipstick, "this one I love, it looks like flower petals."

In honour of dearest Poppy, I decided to try and replicate the following look.

 
 

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you...Poppy Alexander McQueen....

 

...Cream. I meant Cream.

This was taken after a light breakfast, without requiring touchups. Impressed? I hope so.
The rest of the face is coated in the following:
Eyes: Fyrinnae Pixie epoxy. Artist of Makeup Bare Canvas, Nutmeg, Espresso, St Tropez and Hush eyeshadows.
I used Bare Canvas in my waterline as well, instead of a nude eyeliner. Anna Sui liquid eyeliner pen in 500. My magic mascara combo .
Skin:
GOSH CC cream in Sand (good but greasy-looking)
Chanel Poudre Universelle in Peche
Benefit Boing concealer (bleh) used around lips as well
Guerlain Spicy Coral Terracotta cream blush mixed with dabs of NYC Retro Red lipstick (as blusher) to get the red tinge the inspiration pic has around hairline and cheeks
Fyrinnae Enrapture blusher




Goodbye, Poppy Cream. Goodbye.

3 comments:

  1. why don't you just order like 5 of them and they'll last you a lifetime???

    ReplyDelete
  2. or does practicality have to bow before sentiment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fear not, young one, that is indeed the route I have taken. And LOL i bet you just wanted to use that phrase n feel eloquent! Lipsticks do go rancid even if unopened... one thing to watch out for that makes the lifetime supply thing impractical. Mainly I wish it wouldn't get discontinued because I want it to go on forever, a classic. Elizabeth Arden (the actual person) contributed quite a bit to the whole red lipstick craze back in the day. She even designed a lipstick that women in the military HAD to wear! So it's a whole lot of sentiment combined w/ the frustration of seeing a masterpiece bow down and leave the stage...or the counter, as it were.

    ReplyDelete