Pages

Friday 6 December 2013

Hair's to Revlon Colorsilk!

Cheesy title. But I heard you like cheese. Eye roll. But aren't spring rolls tastier? ETC.
Let's get to it.

Revlon Colorsilk in Dark Brown.

I realize the futility of writing about hair dye when the only bit of my hair you can see consists of eyebrows. And mouse stash. And (Robert) Side Burns. And nose h....okay, okay, enough.

First off, nobody can convince me to get it done professionally. I can't stand hair salons.
I can't stand how they misinterpret the simplest request (AN INCH OFF AND NO BANGS PLEASE...ah, mi scusi, what's with the fringe? Slip of the scissors?).

...How they mutilate well-looked after hair (DON'T STRAIGHTEN IT! no heat! please!...what are you doing?? Oh I see.. Bangs don't look good curly? Right..silly me).

...Or bypassing all foreseeable offenses, commit a crime so heinous, so supremely DEVASTATING, you are left with your mouth opening/closing silently, guppy style, as you gaze at a reflection you must dismally accept.
And then pay for the favour. Bangs still sizzling from the iron, lopsided bob, and all.

I have had a simple request for a trim, misconstrued so frequently, at so many salons, that I cannot endure the thought of allowing someone to DYE my hair.

So I tried my hand at it. Bought plenty of dyes. Predictably, mucked it every time.
 Botch, botch, whisky, Scotch. And then, having gotten it where I wanted it, after months of mistakes, there was the roots problem. My hair, twas a write-off. I would've done well at the circus, squeezing out of a tiny car, straight into a lion's jaws.

I mourned. I grieved. But get a professional to fix it, I would NOT. So, this Revlon Colorsilk dye I tried, in DARK brown. I hoped to tint the clown-wig-like mess to an acceptable shade of blah. When it was washed out, and semi-dry...magic.

 Meek despondency replaced with soft rapture. Dark, yes, almost black (it fades in the next wash to a beautiful dark dark brown, where it stays. All former highlights/lowlights, gleam through, just darker. Soft, not straggly. No brassiness, good coverage.

 Just one pump of SAAF Hair oil taken through it, to impart shine (less greasy than Moroccan oil, and absorbs better), and a boost of nutrients. The hair oil does have a slight scent that fades in a few minutes.

To reiterate: it will appear a cool-toned black after the first wash. Second, third washes, it will fade to a luscious, rich blackish-brown. Not flat. Catherine Zeta-Jones-ish/Kim Kardashian-ish.

This is exactly what my hair looks like now

Leave it longer on the roots (15 minutes) and then add to the ends for the remaining five to ten minutes. Basic but worth bearing in mind.

So yeah buy it. Or not. It cost me 7.99 at Rexall Pharmacy, far less than the myriad other dyes I've tried.

Even hubby has been raving about how beautiful the colour is. It's pretty highly recommended on MakeupAlley too!

No comments:

Post a Comment