Pages

Monday 4 August 2014

Refresh by Ruth Tal

Ruth Tal, living advertisement for healthy eating

Refresh (by Ruth Tal and Jennifer Houston) is a vegan cookbook that doesn't suck. (Link to purchase).
This is a book to gift to people one cares about, along with a juicer and a lifetime pre-paid gift card for all the organic food ever [I WISH].

This isn't exactly a proper review...more of a nutshell review.

Refresh makes for an introduction to delicious and healthful dining.
The recipes come straight from Toronto's popular FRESH restaurant, and give you a wide variety of dishes, from energizing espresso drinks, to veggie burgers that don't suck.

Obviously, results might be too tangy or mild, depending on how addled one's tastebuds may be from boiling hot coffee over the years.
Therefore, we turn to...discretion or the spice rack! Duh. Deutsche mark. For example, her Thai peanut sauce for her Buddha Rice Bowl, was too overpowering for us, as written. So je toned down the lime juice next time.
(I theenk zat in general, these recipes err on the side of tangy zestfulness, so balancing out the smaller quantities, with 'earthy' herbs/spices works for me).

Her recipes for juices and smoothies are wonderful--there is something for every need and taste. You know... energy, illness/general weakness, lollipop-cravers, PMS.
[That she manages to make wheatgrass not-so-nayyystay is something I have to take her word for, as I just haven't made the effort to find frozen wheatgrass. Once someone gifted it to me, and that was enough to turn me off POUR LA VIE.]

I've accumulated about 4 weeks worth of meals, from this cookbook, and they've registered as big hits in my household. Not just with yours turly, but EVEN avec...ze Others (z'uzzers).
 That it passed the Picky Eater test, 2 people with opposing taste (baby who LIVES for fruit and veggies, his dad doesn't), is testament that it's not all in my head, this really is a superb resource.

Occasionally I did change her recipes around once I got the hang of them.
Modifications were necessary to:

1. Up the calorie ante (for baby's benefit).
2. Bulk it up for the habitually carnivorous man. (avocado/meat/mushroom-it up)
3. Stretch em out for several meals.

I really recommend this as a tantalizing peek into the healthful way of life. After this, our family became addicted and so I sought out a couple of other health-conscious curkburks, reviews of which may or may not be coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment